Friday, May 19, 2023

Radio Silence

one more big stretch to go
big city radio station
finally within range
first tolls of
Acca Dacca bells
next brother Gord
sings of New Orleans
blessed trifecta rounded off
with Neil's blazing licks
I'm indeed Rockin' in the Free World
radio cranked to 11

...commercial break...

a mellow set
The Tired monk sings
Lost Together
out the window 
cows look up chewing

then...
opening chords of
New Kid in Town
radio clicks off
silence 
on the open road

The Dude was right.




7 comments:

  1. You (your writer) were in the Boonies. I'm glad the one radio station came in, when I was young most radio stations signed off at Midnight. But the station in Mexico blared all night. Your driver had good taste, better than the quality of the stations to listen to. I know the "New Kid in Town" was a loser, I hadn't remembered it until you reminded me. Thanks, I would have turned my radio off too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm driving a long distance, I tend to like fast songs to move me along. New Kid in Town is a pretty slow one. I'd leave Take It Easy on though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha ... New Kid In Town, just a little too sentimental and head-in-the-clouds when facing a long stretch of road on the ground. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a radio Gal! Short trips, long trips I have it tuned to my favorite stations. A mix of 80s, (Eagles) the Boss! some old fashioned country, with a tad of classical thrown in for good measure. I love, love this poem of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nostalgia for the way radio was, and how it linked a generation always intrigues me. It was a different time. Radio songs always seemed so spontaneous and unknowable until you heard Gord or Neil or a new song from a new band...or and old song from an old band. Loved that time. This poem draws me back to those decades like Roxy music...Oh Yeah...There's Band playing on the radio...oh...oh...oh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFadTILdKqM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for helping with the development of Olsonomics.